← Frankenstein; or, the modern prometheus

Frankenstein; or, the modern prometheus — Page 4

Chinese → English Chapter 11 Level 7/10

在喜悦中,我把手伸进了燃烧的余烬,但随即因剧痛而把手抽了回来。

In my joy I thrust my hand into the live embers, but quickly drew it out again with a cry of pain.

我心想,真奇怪,同样的原因竟然会产生如此相反的效果!

How strange, I thought, that the same cause should produce such opposite effects!

我仔细查看了火堆的材料,高兴地发现它是由木头组成的。

I examined the materials of the fire, and to my joy found it to be composed of wood.

我迅速收集了一些树枝,但它们是湿的,无法燃烧。

I quickly collected some branches, but they were wet and would not burn.

这让我感到苦恼,我就静静地坐着,注视着火燃烧的过程。

I was pained at this and sat still watching the operation of the fire.

我放在火旁的湿木头被烤干后,自己也燃烧了起来。

The wet wood which I had placed near the heat dried and itself became inflamed.

我对此加以思考,通过触摸各种树枝,发现了其中的原因,便忙着收集大量木头,以便将其晾干,备有充足的燃料。

I reflected on this, and by touching the various branches, I discovered the cause and busied myself in collecting a great quantity of wood, that I might dry it and have a plentiful supply of fire.

夜晚降临,睡意随之而来,我最担心的是火会熄灭。

When night came on and brought sleep with it, I was in the greatest fear lest my fire should be extinguished.

我小心地用干木头和树叶盖住火堆,又在上面放了一些湿树枝;然后,我展开披风,躺在地上,沉沉睡去。

I covered it carefully with dry wood and leaves and placed wet branches upon it; and then, spreading my cloak, I lay on the ground and sank into sleep.

当我醒来时,已是清晨,我第一件事就是去查看火堆。

It was morning when I awoke, and my first care was to visit the fire.

我揭开覆盖物,一阵微风很快将火吹成了火焰。

I uncovered it, and a gentle breeze quickly fanned it into a flame.

我也观察到了这一现象,便用树枝制作了一把扇子,在余烬快要熄灭时用它来扇风。

I observed this also and contrived a fan of branches, which roused the embers when they were nearly extinguished.

← Previous Next →

Unlock audio playback, vocabulary games, and reading progress tracking.

Create free account →