← Peter Pan

Peter Pan — Page 4

Chinese → English Chapter XVI. Level 4/10

提前把消息透露出去,把一切都破坏掉,是多么令人愉快啊;这样一来,当他们隆重地走进来时,达林太太或许连嘴都不肯凑过去给温迪亲,而达林先生也许会急躁地叫道:'哎,真烦人,那些男孩子又来了。'

How delicious to spoil it all by breaking the news in advance; so that when they enter grandly Mrs. Darling may not even offer Wendy her mouth, and Mr. Darling may exclaim pettishly, "Dash it all, here are those boys again."

然而,就算我们这样做,也得不到任何感谢。

However, we should get no thanks even for this.

我们现在对达林太太已经有了几分了解,可以肯定她会责备我们,说我们剥夺了孩子们那一点小小的乐趣。

We are beginning to know Mrs. Darling by this time, and may be sure that she would upbraid us for depriving the children of their little pleasure.

'但是,亲爱的夫人,距下周四还有十天呢;所以,告诉您实情,我们可以让您少受十天的痛苦。'

"But, my dear madam, it is ten days till Thursday week; so that by telling you what's what, we can save you ten days of unhappiness."

'是的,但代价多大啊!那样就剥夺了孩子们十分钟的快乐。'

"Yes, but at what a cost! By depriving the children of ten minutes of delight."

'哦,如果您这样看的话!'

"Oh, if you look at it in that way!"

'还能有什么别的看法呢?'

"What other way is there in which to look at it?"

你瞧,这个女人根本没有应有的气节。

You see, the woman had no proper spirit.

我本来打算说一些对她格外赞美的话;但我现在瞧不起她,那些话一句也不想说了。

I had meant to say extraordinarily nice things about her; but I despise her, and not one of them will I say now.

她其实不需要别人提醒她把一切准备好,因为一切都已经准备妥当。

She does not really need to be told to have things ready, for they are ready.

所有的床都通了风,她从不离开家,而且你们看,窗户是开着的。

All the beds are aired, and she never leaves the house, and observe, the window is open.

就我们对她的用处而言,我们不妨回到船上去。

For all the use we are to her, we might well go back to the ship.

不过,既然我们在这里,不妨留下来旁观。

However, as we are here we may as well stay and look on.

我们不过是旁观者而已。没有人真正需要我们。

That is all we are, lookers-on. Nobody really wants us.

← Previous Next →

Unlock audio playback, vocabulary games, and reading progress tracking.

Create free account →