Peter Pan — Page 8
他把帽子递给丽莎,丽莎轻蔑地接过帽子;因为她没有想象力,完全无法理解这样一个男人的动机。
He gave his hat to Liza, who took it scornfully; for she had no imagination, and was quite incapable of understanding the motives of such a man.
外面,那群一路跟着马车回家的人还在欢呼,他自然也不免为之动容。
Outside, the crowd who had accompanied the cab home were still cheering, and he was naturally not unmoved.
「你听听他们,」他说,「真是令人十分欣慰。」
"Listen to them," he said; "it is very gratifying."
「不过是一群小毛孩子,」丽莎嗤之以鼻。
"Lots of little boys," sneered Liza.
「今天有好几个大人呢,」他脸上微微泛红,向她保证道;但她把头一扭,他却一句责备的话也没有说。
"There were several adults to-day," he assured her with a faint flush; but when she tossed her head he had not a word of reproof for her.
社交上的成功并没有宠坏他;反而让他变得更加温和了。
Social success had not spoilt him; it had made him sweeter.
他坐在狗窝里,把头探出来,和达令太太谈论着这次的成功,当她说希望他不会因此得意忘形时,他安抚地握着她的手。
For some time he sat with his head out of the kennel, talking with Mrs. Darling of this success, and pressing her hand reassuringly when she said she hoped his head would not be turned by it.
「但是,如果我是个意志薄弱的人,」他说,「老天爷,如果我是个意志薄弱的人!」
"But if I had been a weak man," he said. "Good heavens, if I had been a weak man!"
「还有,乔治,」她怯生生地说,「你还是像以前一样充满悔恨,不是吗?」
"And, George," she said timidly, "you are as full of remorse as ever, aren't you?"
「一如既往地充满悔恨,亲爱的!你看我受的惩罚:住在狗窝里。」
"Full of remorse as ever, dearest! See my punishment: living in a kennel."
「但这是惩罚,不是吗,乔治?你确定你没有在享受这一切吗?」
"But it is punishment, isn't it, George? You are sure you are not enjoying it?"
「我的爱人!」
"My love!"
你可以想见,她向他道了歉;之后,他感到困意袭来,便在狗窝里蜷缩起来。
You may be sure she begged his pardon; and then, feeling drowsy, he curled round in the kennel.
「你能不能为我弹琴催我入睡,」他问道,「就弹育儿室里那架钢琴?」
"Won't you play me to sleep," he asked, "on the nursery piano?"
Unlock audio playback, vocabulary games, and reading progress tracking.
Create free account →